The Four In Hand Knot
The four in hand knot is today’s most popular tie knot and has become a menswear staple. It ticks all the boxes as it’s very easy to tie as well as being both stylish and comfortable.
The knot works really well if you have a shorter neck, as it is quite narrow and elongated, which helps to stretch the perceived height of the neck.
The origins of the four in hand knot
The four in hand knot takes its name from the four horse carriage. The knot is tied in such a way that it resembles a knot used by the carriage driver to keep the reins of all four horses in hand.
In the 1800’s there were a number of Gentleman’s clubs in London, The notorious Earl of Barrymore attended the Four in Hand Club. The young gentlemen would bribe coachmen to let them to take the reins of coaches and drive these as break-neck speeds on the roads of London. The club had a strict uniform and are said to have adopted the Four in Hand Knot, making this a fashion statement of this time.
How to tie your found in hand knot
1. Start with the narrow end of your tie resting at waist level, or if you are quite tall adjust this to be a little above the waist. Cross the wide end of your tie across the front of the narrow end.
2. Take the wide end of your tie behind the narrow end.
3. Now bring the wide end of your tie back across the front of your tie.
4. Bring the wide end of your tie up between your collar and your tie and then down through the loop already created.
5. Using both hands carefully tighten the knot, drawing the knot up towards your collar making any small adjustments.
What is your favourite tie knot? Share your top tips with us!