So why is custard yellow? Custard is made using egg yolks which gives it that gorgeous pale yellow shade. Instant custard tends to be much brighter as it usually has an additive such as Curcumin or Annatto....but less of the food facts we are interested in fashion and Custard is our colour of the month.
Voted one of Top 10 Women's Colors for 2015 by the Pantone Color Institute Custard is described as "Emanating warmth and happiness, Custard serves as an all-encompassing yellow for the spring palette, which can be combined with Classic Blue for a maritime look."
Yellow is found in so many tartans, usually as a subtle stripe in for example the Gordon Clan
or MacLeod of Harris tartan
, but also as the bold base colour in the striking Barclay Dress
, Cornish National
and famously mixed with scarlet in the Buchanan tartans
. Kate Middleton's Strathearn tartan
hit the headlines during the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations in 2012 and has become one of our most popular colour combinations since the Duchess of Cambridge showed the international fashion world how to accessorise in style with a simple tartan scarf
Of course we had to choose yellow as our colour of the month given the current fight going on in Europe to win the coveted Tour de France yellow jersey. Good to see Team Sky's Chris Froome storming to his second victory yesterday and fingers crossed his form continues as he makes his bid to win the tour. Later this year the 2015 Aviva Tour of Britain will pass through Duns. Stage Four starts from Edinburgh and brings the riders through Gifford and over the Lammermuir Hills for the King of the Mountains climb before they descend into Duns and on to Coldstream finishing over the border in Northumberland. We are considering making tartan pom poms for the event. Designs being tested by the children of ScotlandShop during the summer holidays!
We always like to give you 5 random facts about our colour of the month so here goes for Custard:
- Yellow is a primary colour, along with red and blue. The word yellow originates from the Old English word "geolu".
- Post-it Notes were originally made yellow by accident rather than planning or market research. They just happened to have yellow scrap paper when they came up with the idea.
- Yellow is the background colour for the royal emblem of Scotland, the Royal Banner of the Royal Arms of Scotland commonly seen on flags and souvenirs is better known as the Lion Rampant of Scotland.
- UK band Coldplay released their song "Yellow" in 2000 and it went straight in at Number 4 and gave the band their first Top 10 hit selling over 480,000 copies in the UK.
- The best selling yellow tartan on our website is the Buchanan Modern which dates back to the shores of Loch Lomond in 1225.