Harpers Bazaar and Cosmo have just released their top hair colours for Autumn 2015 and brunette is top of the pops. Shiny rich brunette like Angelina Jolie, chocolate curls with dimension from Zooey Deschanel, bright golden brown from Sofia Vergara, waves of caramel from Miranda Kerr.
The beauty of brown hair? It's amazing versatility.
We have chosen brunette as our colour of the month for exactly this reason and there are so many gorgeous shades to suit every skin tone. Just like adding a highlight to your hair changing the colours you combine with brown can totally change the look. Tartan does this to great effect and my personal favourite is the Thompson Hunting Ancient
with the aqua blue stripe. If you love your browns then type "Weathered" into the tartan finder as this is where you will find most of the gorgeous shades emulating the original old colours worn for working in.
5 brown facts for September:
1. Brown is a private Ivy League University on Rhode Island, USA
2. Brown is the second most common name in Scotland and has it's own tartan
3. According to public opinion surveys Brown is the least favourite colour in Europe and the United States.
4. Brunettes have fewer hairs on their heads than blondes and red heads and are therefore more at risk of hair loss according to Medical Daily
. Lucky I am blonde!
5. Tartan cloth was originally made in black, brown or white using the natural shades of the sheeps wool. Hence all that brown in the Weathered tartans
So how should you wear your brown? A few top tips:
- Wear it with denim for that classic American vibe. But be careful with tassels to avoid looking like a cowboy!
- Swap black or white for brown to mix with brights for subtle sophisticated style, meet the parents I tried, but I didn't try too hard.
- Ignore whoever said brown can't be mixed with black. The combination actually creates a very sophisticated look.
- Accessorise accessorise....leather bags and shoes add a touch of luxury to an ordinary outfit
- Use prints to combine brown with other colours. Well we would say that wouldn't we?
This quote I love on going monochromatic from stylist Alison Syrett:
To keep from looking like the UPS man or a Girl Scout Brownie, it's best to layer in a few slightly different variations from the same family as long as everything has a similar undertone.
So there you have it. Wear brown this Autumn! Start here with some of our favourite brown tartans